Before we start, let me share this: Did you know that garters come in sets? One to keep (a heirloom garter) and one to toss. I had no idea. All you experienced wedding gals out there, it’s okay, you can laugh. I should have asked y’all for advice! None of my girlfriends did a garter toss at their weddings, I had to google it. But anyway, speaking of garters—-this is post is about a garter that you definitely will NOT want to toss.
Florrie Mitton is a U.K. company that makes *THE* most stylish garters that I’ve ever seen. They’re all handmade with luxury silks, laces, crystals, etc. They’re all elegant without being over-the-top and they’re delicate yet not old fashioned. I’m in love with these timeless designs!
New year, new products! This year, Birchbox is going to focus on “more things to try, to conquer, and to integrate into our lives.” Which is good, because I’ve been stuck in a boring rut when it comes to beauty and skincare~
This month, Birchbox sent me this:
1. Nail Rock (Nail Polish + Glitter/Velvet/Caviar)
2. 100% Pure Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream
3. INKA Mineral Eyeshadow
4. Ahmad Teas (Assorted)
5. Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream
Interestingggggg. First thoughts:
- I’m really intrigued by the nail polish—I’ve wanted to try this fancy caviar stuff ever since Sephora started promoting that ciate line. Cool! But unfortunately, I’m wearing Calgel again (to grow my nails out for the wedding) so this’ll have to wait until after March.
- EYE CREAM thank you. My dark circles thank you.
- Ooh Mineral Eyeshadow? I’d love to play around with loose shadow, it’s been a while since I’ve had one. Normally, everything I use is all pressed.
- Fekkai Glossing Cream! YAY! I have really really *really* long hair and this helps bring the shine in to the duller ends. (I’ve been using a sample of this from Sephora)
Happy January, everyone! Hope your Birchboxes were full of fun, new things~
Yes, yes. I realize it’s still January. And February (and Valentine’s Day!) is still a full 30+ days away…. But I stumbled upon these adorableeeeeee heart shaped lollipops from Bailey Ana Cakes and I just had to share! I’m going to write a big note to myself to make these the weekend before Valentine’s Day.
And here’s the corresponding recipe, from BBC Good Food:
- 500g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 200ml water
- 2 tsp peppermint essence
- green food colouring
- 40 plastic lollipop sticks, or wooden skewers cut into short lengths
- Put the sugar and cream of tartar into a saucepan with 200ml hot water. Gently heat until the sugar has completely melted, then increase the heat and boil until the mixture reaches the ‘hard crack’ stage on a sugar thermometer (or a small spoonful dropped into cold water sets hard). Remove from heat immediately and swirl in peppermint essence and enough green colouring to give a pale green colour – start by adding just one drop at a time.
- Cover a heatproof surface with baking parchment. Using a metal spoon, carefully pour some peppermint syrup onto the paper – roughly ½-1 tbsp per lolly. Push a lolly stick into each. If the syrup becomes too thick, just put the pan back over a gentle heat briefly. But if the syrup is too hot and runny, the shapes won’t be as even so set it aside for a minute. Set lollies until hard.
- To clean equipment after lollipop making drop everything back into the pan, fill with water and bring to the boil.
So cute! I think I’m going to hunt around at local/organic food stores to see if I can make these….mango flavored with a dash of li hing powder! I’ll still tint them pink though.
*Also, don’t you think that these would be perfect for a bridal shower or a wedding favor? These would be awesome props to take pictures with as well. 😀
Happy New Year everyone! 🙂 The lovely Emily from Jones Design Co. posted a wonderful entry about New Years resolutions, I’m going to follow suit.
Here are my goals for 2014!
BAD HABIT TO BREAK // drinking diet soda and not sleeping enough
NEW SKILL TO LEARN // how to drive standard and how to use my new dslr ❤
PERSON TO BE LIKE // myself! but a calmer version who’s less impulsive and takes the time to appreciate things.
GOOD DEED TO DO // spend more time with my family (especially my grandparents)
PLACE TO VISIT // EUROPE!!!
BOOK TO READ // anything! something new, at least once a month.
LETTER TO WRITE // thank you cards to all my wedding guests, in a timely fashion.
FOOD TO TRY // quinoa. (is that a loofah? sorry, Eagles commerical joke)
DO BETTER AT // going with the flow. relaxing! and getting more Vitamin D.
I’m really looking forward to 2014! I know it’s going to be wonderful (I’m getting married!!!) and I hope these New Years Resolutions keep me on track. Cheers, everyone!