Just now, I realized that I didn’t do reviews of my Summer or Fall Rachel Zoe boxes. I don’t know why–Summer was AMAZING (Hero item: White Cambridge Leather Bag) and Fall was so fun (Hero item: Cluse watch with interchangeable leather wristbands).
Let’s begin with the surprise! I didn’t know this would be included in the Winter box–it was sent out to annual subscribers (it’s actually the best deal, you save a little). This origami style pouch is so cute and it holds a LOT of stuff. It’s perfect for when I travel–I’ve already stuffed all of my skincare related travel items in it and it fits! My skin gets so dry when I fly, I have to moisturize constantly or I’ll get flaky skin.
On to the hero item! I see Alexis Bittar pieces everywhere but I don’t own any of his pieces, this is a first for me. I was a bit worried it would be a little too bulky but this ring is REALLY comfortable. I was able to adjust the ring so that it fits great (the back is open and you can gently bend the sides to get the size that’s best for your fingers)
Bespoke Box is a Men’s Lifestyle monthly subscription that sends out all sorts of neat things–organized into really cool collections. Every month, there’s a new set of about 3 collections (which may or may not include a rerelease from a previous month). This review is for their most popular collection, the Weekender.
After confirming my color pick (I was torn between a gray and an olive but ultimately, I ended up going with the gray. Slight regret *sigh*), my box arrived pretty quickly. I was surprised because it was HEAVY.
Box extras! A playing card deck from Miller Lite, a sample pack of these Hydration Vitamins from a brand called Brode, and a few towelettes for guys. I liked that all of the extras were travel related and I’m really curious about the Brode pills. I absolutely hate that sickly, dried out feeling of being on a plane for too long–I should give it a try on my next work trip.
Onto the bag itself–it’s beautiful!
The body of the bag is made of a thick, heavy duty canvas. The bag is secured by two leather straps with buckles and it’s got a leather strap and a longer, nylon one to sling it over your shoulder.
The reason why this bag is so HEAVY is because of this metal framing at the very top. Imagine that it opens like a doctor’s bag. This helps the bag keep it’s structure nicely but it’s a bit cumbersome (I’ve already banged myself in the knee and shin with this) and I’m not sure it’s worth the extra weight. It also makes the bag hard to compress or travel with if you have to squish it into a tight space. For my personal usage, this bag is best suited for small getaways (yay for staycations) and perhaps interisland travel. I’m also in love with the fact that it’s so versatile–both myself and B could easily use this and we’d both be happy (or perhaps I’d be happy for both of us).
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with this box! The quality is amazing and I love the customization that Bespoke Box offers. If you’re interested in subscribing, I’d wait until Groupon is offering a sale. I think after the discount and the coupon, I got this box for under $20! Woohoo, deals!
Ohayo Gozaimasu (Japanese)! Or rather, Aloha Kakahiaka (Hawaiian). This morning, Box of Style subscribers woke up to a rather wonderful surprise in our inboxes: The Hero Item reveal for the first box of 2016! WOOHOO!
What do you guys think? First thought was…mmm, that’s not really my style but I appreciate the fact that Rachel Zoe knows best (I’m thinking of that song from Frozen, ‘Mother Knows Best,’ haha) and I will probably end up LOVING this bag. My favorite part are the tassels. Since the theme for this season might be a little festival inspired, I feel like it’ll go with all of my Golden Tote items. I always pick ‘Classic’ or ‘Modern’ over ‘Bohemian’ for my style choices but the items I pick for myself always tend to be more ‘free-spirited’ than what I originally wanted.
Second thought was–DANG again, that’s real leather (just like that Cambridge bag they sent last year, oh I love RZ) and alone, it’s worth $150!
Overall, I’m really really really excited. As I always am for RZ’s Box of Style, you guys know its my favorite subscription. After 1 year of subscribing, I’m thinking the contents will be something similar to this:
- Hero Item
- Makeup/Beauty Item (x2)
- Lifestyle related Item (x1 or x2)
- Small but luxe hair or jewelry Item
- Fashion Saver Item
I always look forward to the Fashion Saver Item. You know, the nipple covers, foot pads, invisible tape. It’s always something that I never knew I needed but once I got it, I was IN LOVE. How could I ever live without this amazing thing? Haha. (Cue the music) *Rachel Zoeeeeeeeeeee! Knows Best!*
I have never made a moodboard. Maybe I should start! I’ll add it to my growing list of New Year’s Resolutions. This year, I have:
- Eat Less Sugar
- Be calmer in tense situations
- Do More Yoga
- Cook at home more
- Take Puppy on longer walks
I also got this really neat memory journal for Christmas–it asks you a different question every day and you do it for 5 years. I know, I know, that’s dedication! But I figured it’d be neat to see how my answers change as I age. I also see it as the lazy woman’s journal. I always love the idea of journals but I tend to write only horrible things in it or I totally fall off the wagon and neglect the book for months.
But ANYWAY—back to Moodboards. This is what Birchbox sent me this month:
I’m doing this off of an advanced preview so the mini screenshot of all the samples isn’t available to me yet. Here’s what I got:
- Beautiful Nutrition – Grapefruit Detox Shine Repair Shampoo
- Beautiful Nutrition – Grapefruit Detox Shine Repair Conditioner
- Tony Moly – Delight Tony Tint
- FOREO – Day Cleanser
- Eyeko – Fat Liquid Eyeliner
My sample selection was the Eyeko liner–I swear I’ve gotten the skinny liner SOMETIME in my Birchbox history but I remember nothing about it! I do know that I passed up the mascara because I had extensions at the time. *sigh* I know I have a TON of eyeliner but I couldn’t pass up the chance to try this one out.
I’m happy to get a Korean lip tint–I am loving my Etude House one that I got in a previous makeup haul. I love the Tony Moly brand! They sell their stuff at Urban Outfitters too–my absolute favorite line are the products shaped like pandas. Haha. :3
I’ve never heard of Beautiful Nutrition or FOREO before so woohoo! Back to product discovery! Thanks Birchbox, I’m really looking forward to this one. A great way to start off my BB 2016, don’t you think? Did you guys get anything fun this month?
PS: Did you know that if you shared your box, you got 10 points? WHAAAAT I’ve been missing out on 10 points all of this time? I don’t think I ever looked that closely at that product page before. *sigh*
Warning: This will be a post almost entirely about eyeliner. (FUN! Are you as excited as I am? If I had to pick one product to use exclusively for the rest of my life, It’d be eyeliner. Definitely eyeliner.)
Skin Food is a skincare and makeup brand that’s been around since 1957 in Korea. I’ve seen the products around but they aren’t as available to me in Hawaii, definitely not like Nature Republic or the Face Shop, so I was eager to try out their products. Also, I think everything I bought was on sale. Haha! I can’t turn down sales. D:
From the left:
- Black Bean Lip Line Pencils – Shades 2 and 3. There are black bean nutrients/extracts in the formula that are supposedly very moisturizing. One side has the product and there’s a little handy built in lip brush on the other side. The colors I got are a pinky rose and a nude rose–they go on VERY sheer on my lips and they last a LONG TIME. I absolutely love them–I kind of wish I got the coral and red shades also.
- Seaweed Waterproof Auto Eyeliner – Deep Sea Black. Marine names for marine based products–isn’t that cute? Auto Eyeliner means that’s got a mechanical twist to move the product up so no more sharpening. I *think* there’s something in the cover that sharpens it, kind of like the Smashbox Always Sharp Kohl Liner series, but I’m not entirely sure. Glides on well and it seems like it’s easy to smudge while retaining it’s staying power.
- Seaweed Waterproof Auto Eyeliner – Sparkling Mocha, Black, Golden Fish Tale. These were on sale so I bought them–I think there might be a little break in the stick cause the products fell out after I took the caps off. Oh well–they are so cute! There are little flecks of glitter in the pigments. I wish the golden color had more pigmentation though–instead of an eyeliner, I smoothed it over my eyelid for a little bit of sparkle and color.
- Mineral Lashliner – 03 Black. It claims its smudge-proof and soft siding, it also comes with a little…plastic smudger? That’s also double-sided as a sharpener, so that’s cool.
- Viva-Waterproof Tip Pen Eyeliner – Black. This eyeliner series had a brown and also a three tipped marker for different eyeliner looks. This one is a classic brush shape that REALLY reminds me of the Kat Von D eyeliner that I absolutely LOVE. Hope the formula stacks up but we’ll see!
They also gave me a little Snoopy x Skin Food cosmetics pouch also, so cute! I love Korea and I love Korean makeup. This was my last Korean haul — I don’t seem to splurge on makeup like this while I’m in Japan, so I’ll most likely be switching back to my tried and true Sephora makeup products after these are all tried and gone. Qualified for VIB this year so woohoo! Sales!